2021 North Myrtle Beach Winter Junior Lifeguard Program
Please Note: The accompanying photo was taken during a previous Junior Lifeguard program held prior to the onset of COVID-19. More distancing will occur during the 2021 program.
Registration for North Myrtle Beach’s January 25-March 18 Winter Junior Lifeguard program begins Monday, December 14.
This North Myrtle Beach Ocean Rescue program is for people ages 9-15. It includes learning basic lifesaving skills, CPR, and water safety practices. The instructional staff makes the experience safe and fun for all participants.
Classroom sessions take place at the J. Bryan Floyd Community Center (1030 Possum Trot Road), and swimming pool sessions take place at the North Myrtle Beach Aquatic & Fitness Center (1100 2nd Avenue South).
Registration is $25 using a credit or debit card over the phone, or cash or checks paid in person at the Aquatic & Fitness Center. Please make checks payable to NMB Aquatic and Fitness Center.
There are two participant groups, and each group meets on different days. Families can choose a group for their child but each group has a cap of 12 students.
A-Group: Classroom work occurs every Wednesday, 4:30 pm-6:00 pm, and pool time every Thursday, 6:30 pm-8:00 pm.
B-Group: Classroom work occurs every Monday, 4:30 pm-6:00 pm, and pool time every Tuesday, 6:30 pm-8:00 pm.
On the first day of class, each Junior Lifeguard receives a handbook, a rash-guard, and a reusable water bottle. New participants receive a backpack.
Please Note: Registrants who are not currently on a swim team or have not completed the course before will attend a pre-program January 23 swim test at the Aquatic Center pool. A-Group registrants test at 1:00 pm and B-Group registrants test at 2:00 pm. The test involves swimming 50 yards, untimed. An instructor may also ask participants to show they can tread water.
These COVID-19 protocols are in effect:
For the classroom:
- Wearing a face mask or face covering is required.
- Students sit in every other seat.
- The City disinfects CPR mannequins and other equipment.
For the pool:
- Student Drop-Off: Do not arrive before 6:20 pm. Junior Lifeguards enter the Aquatic Center through the front entrance, and an instructor leads them to the pool deck.
- Student Pick-Up: Junior Lifeguards exit the pool through the side doors next to the picnic tables. Junior Lifeguards do not leave until they actually see their parent/guardian in the parking lot.
- Arrive Ready to Swim: Junior Lifeguards arrive at the Aquatic Center with their bathing suits already on underneath their clothing. Changing areas are not available.
- A parent or guardian must sign a waiver at the front desk before the first class.
- Social distancing measures are in place for Junior Lifeguards when they are not actively engaged in learning a rescue training skill.
- In order to minimize unnecessary mingling, Junior Lifeguards pick one partner to work with for physical skills or for the duration of the program.
- Junior Lifeguards may not drink directly from water fountains. During the first class, each Junior Lifeguard receives a refillable water bottle or they may elect to bring their own water bottle.
To register, please email email@example.com. If you have questions about the Junior Lifeguard program, please reach out to Beach Patrol at firstname.lastname@example.org.