Residential Collection Schedule
Curbside collection of household trash, recycling and yard waste is scheduled on the same day each week. The service day for each customer is based on the residence location within one of four collection routes: Beachfront, North, Central, and South. All items shall be placed at the curb on the designated collection day under the following guidelines.
Household Trash, Recycling and Yard Waste Collection Route and Day (Interactive Map)
Where to Take Garbage Between Normal Collection Days
City sanitation customers who have a need to dispose of household garbage or other items beyond their normal collection days may bring bagged garbage, recyclables, yard waste, and e-waste to the City’s Solid Waste Transfer Station at 1220 2nd Ave S. The Transfer Station does not accept waste from contractors.
The Transfer Station is open Monday-Friday, 7am-3pm and Saturday-Sunday, 7am-12pm.
Household Trash (Garbage)
- The City provides each customer with a roll-cart container. There is no cost for the initial roll-cart, however, a replacement fee is charged for lost or stolen containers. Roll-carts are available at the customer’s option in three sizes: 96 gallon, 64 gallon and 48 gallon.
- Replacement roll-cart fee is $55 for any size cart.
- All household garbage should be bagged and placed in the roll-cart container. The roll-cart should be set at the street for pickup.
- The roll-cart should be placed beside the street no later than 7:00 am on the designated collection day to ensure pickup.
- Once emptied, the roll-cart should be promptly removed from the street and returned to the home until the next scheduled collection day.
- Single Family trash is not to be placed in private dumpsters.
- Yard waste includes grass clippings, leaves, tree trimmings, etc. All limbs and branches should be cut to lengths less than 5 feet and should be less than 6 inches in diameter.
- For prompt and efficient service, yard waste should be placed in a neat pile near the street separate from household garbage and recycling no later than 7am on the designated collection day to ensure pickup.
- Yard waste may not be placed in plastic bags, Horry County Solid Waste has banned them.
- Yard waste generated by landscape contractors or tree services is not picked up by the City and should be disposed of by the contractor performing the work.
- The City will provide each customer with a recycle bin or recycle roll-cart container (based on availability). There is no cost for the initial bin or roll-cart, however, a replacement fee of $55 is charged for lost or stolen roll-carts. Recycle roll-carts are available at the customer’s option in two sizes -- 64 gallon or 48 gallon.
- All recyclable materials should be placed in the recycle container and set at the street no later than 7am on the designated collection day.
- Recyclable materials include: Aluminum cans, cardboard, glass, magazines, newspaper, paperboard, plastic containers and bottles, and steel cans.
- Recyclable materials should be placed loosely, not bagged.
- The City collects electronic waste (electronic waste includes televisions, radios, computers, etc.) and segregates these materials from the waste stream for recycling.
- The City operates a recycling drop off site located on Bay Street at 6th Avenue South and a cardboard collection site at the solid waste transfer station.
- The City of North Myrtle Beach encourages all citizens to participate in the curbside recycling program or by taking materials to any drop off site. Please refer to the Horry County Solid Waste Authority for a Current List of Recyclable Materials (PDF).
Commercial Collection Schedule
Multifamily and commercial garbage collection is provided through the use of bulk containers. It is scheduled on an "as needed" basis with the property manager and/or individual business. This service may be provided by the City or by a private waste hauler at the option of the property manager or commercial establishment.
Short Term Rental Collection Schedule
As more and more short-term rentals have become available to the vacationing public in our residential neighborhoods, the City has experienced an increase in complaints about an over-abundance of trash left curbside at short-term rental units. To alleviate this situation, the City now collects trash from short-term rentals on their regular pick up day, plus Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. (Recyclables are only collected on the regular pick up day.) Please observe the trash collection days and times that your property manager provides to you, and please do not leave trash outside receptacles.
Transfer Station & Landfill
All solid waste collected in the City is taken to a transfer station, loaded onto trailers, and hauled to the Horry County Landfill for final disposal. The Horry County Solid Waste Authority operates the landfill.
Residents that need to dispose of large quantities of construction/renovation waste should haul this debris directly to the convenience center or landfill. Contractors are responsible for the transportation and disposal of all waste created by their activities. All contractor-generated waste should be hauled directly to an approved landfill.
The City provides a special collection service for bulky items such as furniture, appliances, etc. This is not regularly scheduled but is provided on an as needed basis. Please call the Sanitation Division at 843-280-5500 prior to placing these items at the street to ensure prompt pickup.
The City does not pick up: Automotive waste (batteries, oil, etc.), construction debris, dirt, hazardous material, land-clearing debris, paint, medical waste or rocks. Please call for assistance in disposing of these items. Please see the Horry County Solid Waste Authority website to learn about disposing of prohibited waste.