I need utility service, what do I need to do?

Owners or renters must apply for water and/or sewer service; renters must provide the name of owner or managing agency of the property.

Our customer service representative will provide the standard application, which must be properly completed and signed. The customer will receive a copy that should be kept for future reference, especially when closing out an account.

The department will process the information given on the application and account number will create a permanent file for each customer.

Show All Answers

1. I need utility service, what do I need to do?
2. Does it matter if I am a new customer or existing customer applying for water service?
3. If I am an owner who rents to others, must I have a meter deposit as well?
4. What will I be charged for a meter deposit if I own a single family home and when do I get it back?
5. How long does it take to receive my meter deposit back after closing out my account?
6. For new construction, what must I do as far as water and sewer service are concerned?
7. How often am I billed?
8. What kind of water bill can I expect to receive?
9. What is the typical water consumption for a single family?